We came across this contest and wanted to share. We thought it would be great for our “green” friends. K-12 Online is not affiliated with the program in any way, we just like the idea of awarding prizes to students, classrooms, and schools.
After all, supporting education while being eco-friendly is what we are all about!
Students, classrooms and schools can win great prizes by putting environmental awareness to the test! Glogster EDU and the Go Green Initiative have teamed up to celebrate Earth Day 2012 by offering great prizes for the most informative and creative Glogs by individual students, classrooms, and schools.
Start off by choosing one, two, or all three of the following systems in your community to focus on: the water system, the food system, or the energy system. Then create a Glog with text, images, audio, and video demonstrating how the system(s) work in your community and ways the system(s) could be greener or more sustainable.
This is a perfect opportunity to learn more about your community and earn Earth Day-themed prizes for you, your classroom, or your school.
Entries must be submitted by April 30, 2012.
100 students with outstanding entries will win:
- 4 students – $500 cash prize for juniors or seniors in HS who intend to pursue higher education courses in sustainability.
- 5 students – $100 cash prize for students in any grade level.
- 1 student – A FlipCam & the book Going Blue, co-written by Philippe Cousteau.
- 60 students – The Discovery Channel DVD Oceanic.
- 30 students – The Discovery Channel DVD Amazing Earth.
4 classrooms with numerous outstanding entries will win:
- 1 classroom – A full-service end-of-the-year BBQ
- 1 classroom – A 30 pack of Action Wipes for each student & teacher
- 1 classroom – An official Go Green Initiative T-shirt & mug for each student & teacher
- 1 classroom – A stainless steel water bottle for each student & teacher
27 schools with numerous outstanding entries will win:
- 1 school – An organic garden supplied & built by Safeway, Inc.
- 1 school – A visit from the official Wells Fargo stagecoach and horses. Students will get to take a ride in the stagecoach, local conditions permitting.
- 25 schools – A DVD of Freedom by Sundance Film Festival Award Winners Josh & Rebecca Tickell
Are you ready to go green? Click here for more information or to enter. Good luck!!
About the Go Green Initiative
The Go Green Initiative is a global organization that trains volunteers in schools, homes, businesses and organizations to conserve natural resources for future generations, and to protect human health though environmental stewardship. We provide free and continual instruction for over 2,724 volunteers in all 50 U.S. states and in 71 countries, teaching them to quantify their environmental impact, and increase the resources their communities conserve. Click here for more information: www.GoGreenInitiative.org